Monday, March 21, 2011

Darren Aronofsky not directing The Wolverine

This is a real blow for the comic-book movie genre. It looks like Black Swan director Darren Aronofsky won't be helming the Wolverine sequel after all.

His reason? The project would keep him out of the country for too long.

Fox and star Hugh Jackman are expected to begin the search for a new director immediately.

Of course, the film was to largely take place in Japan, so one has to wonder if the aftermath of the earthquake and tsunami and the ongoing nuclear concerns in the stricken country played into this decision.

"As I talked more about the film with my collaborators at Fox, it became clear that the production of The Wolverine would keep me out of the country for almost a year," Aronofsky said. "I was not comfortable being away from my family for that length of time. I am sad that I won't be able to see the project through, as it is a terrific script and I was very much looking forward to working with my friend, Hugh Jackman, again." 

No comments: